South Indian-style Lentils
Recipe by Gigi Pravda
- 1 lb Red Lentils - Masoor Dal (I used toor dal, yellow pigeon peas, split)
- 3 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Serrano Chilies, stemmed and finely sliced, or Green Anaheim Pepper, thinly sliced (for a mild version)
- 4 Garlic cloves, halved, sprout removed
- 4 Burlap & Barrel Cardamom Pods, well cracked
- 4 grams Burlap & Barrel Cinnamon Verum Shavings (in cheesecloth) or 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 Burlap & Barrel Pemba Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Burlap & Barrel Zanzibar Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Brown/black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Burlap & Barrel New Harvest Turmeric
- 1 pinch Burlap & Barrel Silk Chili (or more if desired)
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 4 cups Water
- Kosher salt
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- Shredded Coconut, unsweetened & toasted
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Cilantro, chopped or torn
- Rinse lentils well, then place in a bowl & cover with water while prepping mise en place.
- In a heavy 3-4 qt pot, melt coconut oil until very hot. Add onions, peppers & garlic & sauté, stirring frequently until very soft but not browned at all. Season lightly with salt.
- Add cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds and cook 1 min or until fragrant & mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add turmeric & chili, stirring to coat.
- Add ginger & cook until heated through & fragrant.
- Add lentils, turning over to coat in spices & oil for a minute or so. Be sure not to let ginger stick to pot & burn.
- Add water & some salt; bring to the boil, stirring. Cover & turn heat to barest simmer.
- When lentils are soft, turn heat to high, give them a good stir, add the coconut milk & when boiling, cover, turn off heat & let sit 20-30 mins or longer for spices to bloom.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over rice or plain with a sprinkle of coconut, squeeze of lime & big spoonful of yogurt and cilantro.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.