Our Zanzibar true cinnamon (aka Ceylon cinnamon) is bright and sweet, with notes of pine, citrus peel and sea salt. Our cinnamon is cut by hand from younger branches of the cinnamon tree, and have an evergreen brightness and woodsy complexity unlike any other cinnamon we’ve ever tasted. They’re perfect for infusing in teas, cooking with rice dishes and garnishing cocktails and desserts. Use them whole or grind them into powder.
Burlap & Barrel is the sole importer of Zanzibar spices to the US. Our partner farmer cooperative in Zanzibar is certified organic by the EU.
- Origin: Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: 100% True Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum verum)
- Tasting notes: Pine • Citrus Peel • Sea Salt
- Steep in boiling water for a cinnamon tea
- Throw a few shavings into a pot of chili, short ribs, or even rice
- Add to your next batch of coffee (cold brew or regular), mulled wine, or spiced cider
- Pairs well with: Pemba Cloves, Stone Nutmeg, Allspice Berries
Our cinnamon is the inner bark of the cinnamomum verum tree also known as true cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon. It is grown by a cooperative of smallholder farmers on the Zanzibar islands off the east coast of Tanzania in the Indian Ocean, many of whom have been cultivating cinnamon and other spices (including our cloves, nutmeg and black pepper) for generations. It grows on the steep hillsides rising above the beach, where it thrives in the hot sun, salty breeze and sandy soil, a terroir that contributes to a subtle, smooth flavor without any bitterness. The cinnamon is hand-cut and sun-dried to order throughout the year to guarantee the freshest and most intense flavor.