Our Roasted Cacao Nibs are made from organic cacao beans from the famous Kokoa Kamili cooperative.
The beans are naturally processed and sun-dried before being carefully roasted in California for a crunchy, fruity and bright flavor.
With applications far beyond baking, cacao nibs are also an aromatic, a flavor enhancer and an easy way to add depth and complexity to stews and chilis, roasted meat dishes and, of course, desserts.
- Origin: Kilombero Valley, Tanzania
Process: Naturally processed, then sun-dried
Ingredients: 100% cacao bean solids (Theobroma cacao var. Trinitario)
- Tasting notes: Dried Cherry • Tannins • Bittersweet Chocolate
- Sprinkle over sweets, pastries and ice cream
- Mix with nuts, seeds, oats and dried fruit for a delicious trail mix or granola
- Roughly chop or grind for a meat or tofu rub
- Pairs well with: Ground Allspice Berries, Raki Anise Seeds, Cloud Forest Cardamom Seeds
The Kokoa Kamili cooperative is comprised of nearly 3,000 smallholder farmers in the Kilombero Valley. They provide training and support for their member farmers, as well as cocoa tree seedlings (over 140,000 so far) for free or well below cost.
Kokoa Kamili supplies cocoa beans to a lot of well-respected chocolate makers here in the US, including Dandelion Chocolate in San Francisco and Raaka in NYC.
With this spice, they've gone one step further and turned the cocoa beans into nibs. Rather than relying on someone else to take this step, they're creating an opportunity to bring more money back to their member farmers.