Our richly fragrant Cloud Forest Cardamom Extract is a beautiful take on the traditional extract, made with our cardamom seeds from Alta Verapaz, Guatemala. A beautiful golden color, this extract can be swapped 1:1 for vanilla extract.
It's excellent in baked goods, drinks, puddings, coffee and anywhere else you want a splash of tropical cardamom flavor. Add a botanical burst to your favorite martini, or make a refreshing, citrusy cocktail, with or without alcohol.
This extract is a slow-crafted custom blend made in collaboration with Bittercube. They expertly infuse our cardamom seeds in alcohol to make a deeply flavorful, versatile extract. Use it anywhere you'd use vanilla extract, in an equal amount.
Known to be one of the world’s oldest and most expensive spices, cardamom is part of the Zingiberaceae family. Black cardamom (Amomum subulatum) is a herbaceous perennial that grows in mountainous forests, is much larger than green cardamom and has tasting notes of smoke, camphor, citrus and menthol. It is typically dried and smoked, then used in savory, slow-cooked dishes. Green cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) is a tropical flowering herbaceous perennial with tasting notes of fruit, herbs and mint. It is versatile and is used in both sweet and savory dishes.
Cardamom has been used culinarily, medicinally and cosmetically for thousands of years. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is considered to be tridoshic. Essential oil percentages of cardamom range and are largely concentrated within the seeds. There are many active beneficial components found in black and green cardamom, including but not limited to cineole, terpinyl and linalool.
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and recent evidence that cardamom can potentially be helpful for:
- Antimicrobial & Antifungal Properties: Cardamom shows natural antimicrobial and antifungal properties. (A, B, C)
- Anti-Cancer & Immune System Benefits: The components of cardamom may provide anticancer and immune system benefits and cytotoxic properties. (A, B, C, D, E)
- Blood Sugar Control & Diabetes: Studies show possible benefits for both short- and long-term glucose control, and possible benefits for pre-diabetic individuals.(A, B, C)
- Cholesterol Reduction: Reduction of triglycerides and possible improvement in both LDL and HDL levels. (A, B, C)
- Preventing Tooth Decay & Infections: May help prevent tooth decay and periodontal infections.(A, B)
- Reducing Nausea & Vomiting: Topical essential oil mixtures including cardamom show potential to reduce nausea and vomiting postoperatively, and aromatherapy reduces chemotherapy-induced and pregnancy induced nausea. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
Bittercube creates slow-crafted, handmade products in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with real botanicals. Their mission is to make innovative, densely flavored bitters through thoughtful sourcing, meticulous production, and ongoing research, and to inspire elevated drinking experiences.
Bittercube was founded in 2009 by two bartenders with a shared vision for bold & balanced bitters. Over the years, they have been featured in The New York Times, Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food, Imbibe Magazine, Timeout, Bon Appétit, Chicago Tribune and NPR, among many other publications.