Black Cardamom is a smoky, complex spice beloved across South and Central Asia. A larger cousin of cardamom, these pods are pink and purple when fresh, and they turn black as they're smoked over an open fire. The flavor is more resinous and bold than that of its softer, sweeter cousins yellow or green cardamom, and it's at its best in dishes that cook for hours, so its flavor can soften and meld with the other spices (it pairs well with citrus).
Our Smoked Black Cardamom is ground for easy use. Sprinkle into stews,lentils and sauces for an irresistible smoky, herbal flavor. If you prefer the camphor flavor to shine, add a pinch to a cold dip or salad dressing. It shines when blended with other spices.
- Origin: Nagaland, India
- Process: Sun-dried, then smoked over an open fire
- Ingredients: Black cardamom, smoked and ground (Amomum subulatum)
- Tasting notes: Camphor • Menthol • Incense
- Combine with yogurt, or tahini and lemon juice, for a smoky dip for veggies
- Sprinkle some into a braise or pot roast
- Add a pinch to slow-cooked lentil or meat stews for a smoky, deep flavor
- The Dip
- Pairs well with: Ground Black Lime, Black Mineral Salt, New Harvest Turmeric
Our black cardamom is grown by a group of farmers led by Sahu Saioji in Silma Marak, in the Garo Hills region of Meghalaya in northeastern India. The farmers are part of a Farmer Producer Organization (FPO) that provides services and support in the form of marketing, processing and technical services.
After it's harvested, the cardamom is cleaned by hand, then separated and dried using the traditional Bhatti system — the cardamom pods are placed on bamboo mats over an open wood fire. This technique dries the cardamom and gives it a deep, smoky flavor. Once it's smoked, it is finely ground.
Love my purchases
Wonderful. I love everything I’ve gotten from Burlap & Barrel.
The quality of the spice is wonderful! It is so much more vibrant than regular cardamom and a real treat.