Our Smoked Chipotle Chili peppers are grown on Fire Tongue Farms in California and smoked over fruit tree branches pruned from a nearby orchard. A chipotle is a smoked jalapeño pepper, so these are the darker, deeper siblings to our El Jefe-variety Red Jalapeños. They're medium-hot and are perfect for cooking or garnishing, in a tomato sauce, with eggs or on fresh fruit.
- Heat level: 4,000-6,000 Scoville units
- Season grilled meat or veggies for a bright spiciness
- Sprinkle over dips like baba ghanoush and hummus
- Add to chocolate and fruit for a sweet/spicy kick!
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and limited recent evidence that chilis can potentially be helpful for:
- Cancers: Capsaicin shows potential natural cytotoxic and anticancer properties. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
- Increased Longevity: Several studies have shown a significant decrease in mortality associated with regular consumption of chili peppers. (A, B, C)
- Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and Cholesterol: Diets containing chili peppers have shown a correlation with decreased cardiovascular mortality, improved blood pressure and potential for cholesterol reduction. (A, B, C, D)
- Osteoarthritis/Pain: Utilizing capsaicin shows potential improvement associated with chronic osteoarthritis pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and neuropathy. (A, B, C)
- Digestive Health: Chili peppers and capsaicin have been shown to have a gastroprotective effect in peptic ulcer disease, a beneficial effect on human gut microbiota and gastric emptying, and a potential to improve dysphagia symptoms. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Obesity: Regular consumption of capsaicinoids show a reduction in appetite and abdominal fat tissue levels, and an increase of energy expenditure. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Antimicrobial Benefits: Chilis inhibit various microbial pathogen growth, and have the potential to be used as antimicrobials. (A, B, C, D)
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes: The target receptor of capsaicin (TRPV1) is present on many metabolically active tissues, and may show potential to treat the cluster of risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome and help regulate blood sugar levels. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
The peppers are grown by Fire Tongue Farm in the cool, coastal climate of Santa Cruz, CA. The farmers Ryan and Levon specialize in growing chili peppers of all shapes and sizes, and they are dedicated to maintaining a healthy environment on and around their farmland, rotating between grazing sheep and growing peppers. You can taste the difference!
Their work builds healthy soil, prevents erosion, protects wildlife habitats and conserves water and other resources. Learn more at firetonguefarm.com
Convenient & Flavorful
Amazing, complex taste and quick when you don’t have time to prep chipotle peppers.
Burlap and Barrel Spices
Everyone has been superb and allowing us, even in a small way, to contribute to your very important mission. So they taste good and we feel good. Many thanks for your efforts.
amazing addition to, well, anything you want to eat!
excellent addition to anything with the gradual heat and hint of smokiness. honestly, as a traditional fan of vinegar heat and straight out heat, this one has proved surprisingly enjoyable!
Smoked Chipotle Chili
!What a delight! Instant drama in a guacamole; great summer surprise in a refried bean side dish; instant refresh for any Mexican stew with a sprinkling of lime juice and a dusting of fresh chopped cilantro.
The smoked chipotle is my go to pepper in most recipes. It has the perfect balance of smoky heat and complements so many dishes! Use in chili, eggs, soups, sauces, and stir-frys.