Kashmiri chilis, in whole and powdered form, are a staple of Indian cuisine and a welcome addition to any dish that needs a burst of flavor and color. The fresh peppers are long, slender and brilliant red. Kashmiri chili boasts a classic balance of heat and sweetness, and this variety is hotter than others you may have tried!
The chilis are prized for their flavor and also their vibrant red color, which imparts a beautiful hue to rubs for Tandoori meats and stews like Rogan Josh. The rich color and bright, sweet flavor make this chili powder a perfect everyday alternative to cayenne, and the full, round taste is a welcome addition anywhere you might use cayenne pepper or hot paprika.
- Origin: Pampore, Kashmir
- Process: Dried, then ground
- Ingredients: Kashmiri chili powder (Capsicum annuum v. Kashmiri)
- Tasting notes: Grilled Sweet Pepper • Cucumber • Medium Heat
- Use in a rub for grilled lamb or other meat kebabs
- Add to soups and stews for medium heat and rich color
- Use anywhere you'd use cayenne pepper, chili powder or hot paprika
- Smoky-Spicy Dip
- Moong Dal with Garam Masala
- Caribbean Jerk Dry Rub
- Simple Spiced Tofu Scramble
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, New Harvest Turmeric, Sweet Pepper Paprika
Our partner farmer Showkat grows Kashmiri chilis on farms in Kashmir's famous saffron-growing region, Pampore. While most Kashmiri-variety chili isn't actually grown in Kashmir, Showkat grows two heirloom varieties in Kashmir proper.
- cayenne pepper
I use this all the time. Love the color, love the heat. It's really delicious.
Best spices around
Love all of them.
Indispensable for Indian food
Beautiful color, and very fragrant. Looking forward to using it.
Great flavor and heat
Delicious, addictive and wonderfully hot.
This stuff's like Cayenne pepper in strength, but has a much more sophisticated "bloom" to it. It's just a wonderful addition to the cabinet.
I Love it and sprinkle it on most dishes. My 11 year old daughter loves it as well. It gives a nice back of the mouth burn if used heavily.
A robust alternative to cayenne additions. Though an Indian food staple, this chili brings a late spice inflection with slight sweetness that super-charged my carnitas preparation.
Great stirfry! Super good spices just right....
FREQUENTLY BOUGHT TOGETHER
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.