Our spectacular Cured Sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavor that comes from being packed in salt. This is one of our most popular spices among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
Cured Sumac is a classic Middle Eastern finishing spice. Swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use it to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
“Tart and vivacious, invigorating citrus-like finish.” Bon Appetit
"We purchase Burlap & Barrel’s Cured Sumac by the pound." Sohla El-Waylly, New York Times
"The perfect topping for avocado toast." FastCompany
- Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
- Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
- Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
- Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
- Chickpea Sumac Salad
- Çilbir-Inspired Eggs
- Lemon-Honey Soda with a Sumac-Salt Rim
- Salmon Dry Rub
- Cucumber Yogurt Side Salad
- Easy, Creamy Vegan Salad Dressing
- Hearty Cauliflower and Radicchio Salad with Pine Nuts, Barberries, and Sumac
- Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika, Wild Mountain Cumin
The BEST Sumac you will find!
Can’t say enough.. simply amazing flavor.
The best spices !!
As an enthusiastic cook, I am so happy to have many of Burlap and Barrel spices, which are always high quality and add an extra layer of flavor.
Your company is GREAT
Fabulous,I bought a few more for friends and told another friend about your company.I use to be a pro cook and your spices brought back the joy of cooking.
Ordered Sumac as present for chef friend for Christmas. Beautiful spice- should have ordered 1 for myself, too. Can't wait to hear how she uses it. You had me with avocado toast! Many thanks. Fast service!
Best Spices EVER
I'm LOVING all my B&B spices! When I first read about you in Food & Wine, I wasn't convinced, but then I saw your great video with Mike from Pro Home Cooks. So glad I placed an order - and then another - and another - and give them as gifts to everyone I know! These are the best spices I've ever tasted. And I love the better business model that benefits the farmers more, plus it gets from farm to table faster so it benefits the customer as well. Thank you for starting this business!