"It's surprisingly spicy with notes of pineapple and fresh herbs, and adds a kick to anything it's used in." Food & Wine
Our Buffalo Ginger is an heirloom ginger variety from a group of farmers in the mountains of northern Vietnam. Known for its fruity and floral aroma and powerful heat, this is a complex, flavorful ginger powder that will elevate baked goods, stews, curries, and beverages from hot drinks to cocktails.
In Vietnam, this ginger is used with chicken, soup, rice, and candy. It’s also been used for medicinal purposes — to calm upset stomachs, restore appetite, and support the immune system. Any way you slice it, this is a spicy, wonderfully intense ginger.
- Origin: Cao Bằng, Vietnam
- Process: Dried with hot air, then ground
- Ingredients: Ginger, ground (Zingiber officinale)
- Tasting notes: Pineapple • Fresh Herbs • Bright Heat
- Add to apple pies, cookies, cakes and other baked goods
- Mix ¼ teaspoon with water and honey for a potent ginger tea (or skip the water and stir a pinch of ginger into honey)
- Easy, Creamy Vegan Salad Dressing
- Spiced Winter Squash
- Glazed Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Carrot Layer Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Mousse
- Ilham's Yellow Lempah Fish
- Chai Spice Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pairs well with: Ground Cinnamon Verum, New Harvest Turmeric, Wild Mountain Cumin
We've partnered with DACE, a social enterprise in Vietnam, to connect with the farmers growing our Buffalo Ginger.
The ginger is grown by communities of Hmong farmers in Vietnam's northern highlands, who are learning to grow higher-value crops and transitioning to organic and regenerative agricultural methods. We're honored to support them in that work, and to share their spicy, zingy ginger with you!
- Buffalo Ginger
The flavor was good and sufficient for baking but not for cooking spicy ethnic cuisine.
Quality is amazing.
Loved it and all the spices I purchased.
It was a good powdered ginger.
I really love ginger tea and I prefer it with fresh ginger, but this ginger provides a close second. I highly recommend it.
Beautiful Product. Excellent Customer Care.
The spices I have been purchasing are incredible! They are fresh, flavorful and often unexpected. The stories behind them are an asset beyond compare. Thank you for providing another option out there that is even better than the last. - Tijerina Global Spices “Chai it, you’ll like it”