Grains of Paradise are a complex, aromatic ingredient beloved across Africa, especially in Ethiopian and West African cuisines.
Use whole or grind into stews and sauces for a heat that’s reminiscent of black pepper but beautifully herbal, floral and citrusy.
Origin: Bench Maji, Ethiopia
- Aliases: Melegueta pepper, alligator pepper, ossame, fom wisa
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: 100% grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta)
- Tasting notes: Fresh Herbs • Lemon Zest • Pickled Ginger
- Add a pinch of whole grains to rice or grains to infuse with flavor.
- Grind the grains to add to banana bread or other sweet baked goods.
- Grind and blend with chili, turmeric, cumin and paprika for a homemade berbere.
- Pairs well with: Cobanero Chili, New Harvest Turmeric, Royal Cinnamon
Our Grains of Paradise are grown by a cooperative of farmers in Bench Maji in southern Ethiopia.
Also known as Melegueta pepper, they are related to cardamom and ginger, and they are harvested from pods produced by a trumpet-shaped purple flower.