Our nutmeg comes from a small family farm in the hills, run for generations by the Ramdhanny family.
They reached out to us via social media (you might be surprised at how often we meet spice farmers on Instagram and Facebook!) in early 2020, and we were thrilled to hear from them.
It didn't take long to realize we were aligned on our (very high) quality standards and shared values around sustainable agricultural techniques.
We were only able to get a small quantity for the first shipment, but we look forward to working with the Ramdhanny family for a long time to come and making their nutmeg a regular part of our spice lineup.
Each jar holds 6-8 whole nutmegs. Grate with a microplane or grind in a spice grinder to add to baked goods, breakfast dishes and savory stews (nutmeg in braised meat is an classic flavor combo) to add an intoxicating fragrance and complexity.
Origin: St. George, Grenada
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: 100% organically grown whole nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)
- Tasting notes: Citrus Peel • Eucalyptus • Tropical Warmth
- Sprinkle ground nutmeg into squash, potato or other blended vegetable soups
- Add grated nutmeg to pies, cakes and other desserts
- Grate over cocktails and punches
- Pairs well with: Cloud Forest Cardamom, Royal Cinnamon, Ground Allspice Berries
For centuries, the Caribbean island of Grenada has been renowned for producing some of the best nutmeg in the world. The nutmeg is so closely intertwined with Grenadian history and culture that it is even represented on the national flag.
Nutmeg is native to the Moluccas in the South Pacific, and was first planted in Grenada around 1843. The temperate climate, mountainous terrain and rich volcanic soil of the island create an ideal ecosystem for nutmeg cultivation, and Grenadian nutmeg is known for its sweetness and complexity.