We source our black nigella seed from an organic farm in Fayoum, Egypt. It has a nutty, herbal flavor and is traditionally used as a topping for breads as well as hummus, cheese and other cold dishes.
- Origin: Fayoum, Egypt
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: 100% organically-grown black nigella seed (Nigella sativa)
- Tasting notes: Sweet Roasted Onions • Nutty • Herbal
- Lightly toast them to release essential oils and throw them whole into curries, soups, or sauces
- Sprinkle on top of breads or pastries, or incorporate them in bread doughs and batters for added flavor and crunchy texture
- Add them to pickles, relishes, or chutneys
- Pairs well with: King Caraway, Wild Mountain Cumin, New Harvest Turmeric
Nigella sativa seeds were said to have been found in King Tut’s tomb and have been used for thousands of years as a preservative, spice, and medicine. Our nigella seeds are sourced from an organic farm in central Egypt, where ancient canal systems divert the Nile’s waters to irrigate the fields. The seeds are harvested from capsules inside the Nigella sativa, an herbaceous annual flowering plant, when they bloom in the summer and are then sun-dried.
WONDERFUL. The spices are fantastic! First, the aroma.... then the flavor.... and finally the fun in cooking with them. I am so glad that Rancho Gordo recommended you, as I had not heard of you before. I am having so much fun - and good eating - experimenting with my purchases.
Nigel Seeds - Delicious. Love Burlap and Barrel spices. They're always so fresh and fragrant, and the nigella seeds on top of homemade bread gives that additional nutty, crunch to the bread.
Real Nigella Seeds. Great service, and very happy with my purchase and the price.