Unlike most jalapeño peppers, which are picked while still green, these "El Jefe" variety jalapeño peppers are allowed to ripen on the vine, where they turn bright red and sweet. They're medium-hot and perfect for cooking or garnishing, in a tomato sauce, with eggs or on fresh fruit.
- Origin: Santa Cruz, California
- Aliases: Chipotle (unsmoked)
- Heat level: 7,500-10,000 Scoville units
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
- Ingredients: 100% Capsicum annuum v. Jalapeño
- Tasting notes: Summer Tomato • Sugar Cane • High Burn
- Season grilled meat or veggies for a bright spiciness
- Sprinkle over dips like baba ghanoush and hummus
- Add to chocolate and fruit for a sweet/spicy kick!
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, Smoked Pimentón Paprika, Cured Sumac
The peppers are grown by Fire Tongue Farms in the cool, coastal climate of Santa Cruz, CA. The farmers Ryan and Levon specialize in growing chili peppers of all shapes and sizes, and they are dedicated to maintaining a healthy environment on and around their farmland, rotating between grazing sheep and growing peppers. You can taste the difference!
Their work builds healthy soil, prevents erosion, protects wildlife habitats and conserves water and other resources. Learn more at firetonguefarm.com
- red pepper flakes
- chili flakes
Just the right amount of heat - love all the spices I have purchased from you! Have never been disappointed - have purchased as gifts also
I cook for someone who likes a little heat, but JUST A LITTLE! This is a good option. I use it alot.
I grab the red jalapeno 9 times out of 10 when a recipe calls for red pepper flakes! Perfect heat level and a bright flavor. I've also combined with the smoked chipotle from the same farm for a balance of sharp and smoky flavor. Excellent addition to any kitchen
As with other spices, the red jalapeño is head and shoulders above the red pepper flakes that I have been used to using. You don't just get heat, but a rich flavor.
Great to have on hand to put a little to a lot of delicious heat in dishes.