Our Sun-Dried Tomato Powder is made from a special tomato variety grown across Turkey's Aegean Sea coastline. Sun-dried tomatoes are a natural source of umami, and this tomato powder adds a bump of rich savory tanginess.
Sauté the powder with aromatics like onions or garlic, use as a garnish on roasted vegetables or add to rubs for grilled meats.
- Origin: Aegean Region, Turkey
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
Ingredients: 100% sun-dried tomato, ground (Lycopersicon esculentum, Mill.)
- Tasting notes: Herb garden • Umami bomb
- Coat veggies in olive oil and toss, add to meat rubs and stews
- Sauté with onions, garlic or mirepoix (cut onions, celery and carrots)
- Sprinkle over sliced tomatoes (trust us), focaccias and pizzas
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, Smoked Pimentón Paprika, Cured Sumac
Some handy conversions:
- Tomato paste: 2:1 - 2 parts powder to 1 part water
- Tomato sauce: 1:6 - 1 part tomato powder to 6 parts water
These tomatoes are grown by a network of smallholder farmers in the Aegean region in Turkey. The tomatoes are picked from the field, washed, sliced in half, then laid out to dry in the sun on wide sheets, where they lose up to 95% of their weight.
Fun fact: These tomatoes aren't as sweet as the tomatoes that you'd typically pick up at the market. There's a good reason for that: the sweeter tomatoes produce a clumpy, sticky powder, while these have a tangy kick that's easy to sprinkle on any dish.
- meatloaf sandwiches
- powder line
- bay leaf
- tomato powder
I've been experimenting with this in tomato-based dishes now that tomatoes aren't in season. I've found that it helps to balance flavors when you're forced to use canned/jarred/out of season fresh tomatoes (so, a good portion of the year). It gives tomato-based dishes more depth. It's a nice product to use to add more flavor to a variety of dishes. And you don't need much, so the jar will last a while!
Such a great addition to the powder line up. Between the tomato powder and powdered bay leaf, meatloaf sandwiches just got elevated!