Our fragrant Taurus Mountain Thyme grows wild in the Taurus Mountains of central Turkey. A rare variety originally transplanted from the Himalayas, it has a vibrant green hue and an earthy, savory aroma and flavor that's perfect for meat rubs and roasted vegetables.
Origin: Taurus Mountains, Turkey
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: 100% wild thyme, dried (Thymus linearis)
- Tasting notes: Pine • Sage • Maillard Reaction
- Coat veggies in olive oil and toss with thyme, salt, pepper, garlic and mushrooms or potatoes before roasting
- Mix thyme with cumin, ground black pepper, black lime and paprika for a chicken or fish rub
- Add to a compote or mulled wine, or sprinkle over a fruit pie or tart
- Salmon Dry Rub
- One-Pan Garlic and Caper Spaghetti
Pairs well with: Ground Black Lime, Purple Stripe Garlic, Black Urfa Chili
Adding the Taurus Mountain Thyme to our seasonal lineup is actually the result of a happy accident — there was a mix-up, and our partners in Turkey shipped us this wonderful thyme varietal instead of our usual (and much-loved) Flowering Hyssop Thyme. As soon as we tasted it, we loved it and wanted to share it with you!
Taurus Mountain Thyme is grown in the area known as the Middle Taurus Mountains, between Mersin and Hatay, further west from where our Flowering Hyssop Thyme is grown.
This thyme grows well in the high plateaus of the mountains, where the temperature gets very hot with little rainfall during the summer. The thyme seeds are typically planted between March and May and harvested in July and August.