Unlike most jalapeño peppers, which are picked while still green, these El Jefe–variety jalapeño peppers are allowed to ripen on the vine, where they turn bright red and sweet. They're medium-hot and perfect for cooking or garnishing, in a tomato sauce, with eggs or on fresh fruit.
- Origin: Santa Cruz, California
- Aliases: Chipotle (unsmoked)
- Heat level: 7,500-10,000 Scoville units
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
- Ingredients: Capsicum annuum v. Jalapeño
- Tasting notes: Summer Tomato • Sugar Cane • High Burn
- Season grilled meat or veggies for a bright spiciness
- Sprinkle over dips like baba ghanoush and hummus
- Add to chocolate and fruit for a sweet/spicy kick!
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, Smoked Pimentón Paprika, Cured Sumac
The peppers are grown by Fire Tongue Farm in the cool, coastal climate of Santa Cruz, CA. The farmers Ryan and Levon specialize in growing chili peppers of all shapes and sizes, and they are dedicated to maintaining a healthy environment on and around their farmland, rotating between grazing sheep and growing peppers. You can taste the difference!
Their work builds healthy soil, prevents erosion, protects wildlife habitats and conserves water and other resources. Learn more at firetonguefarm.com
- red pepper flakes
- chili flakes
Really enjoying these flakes vs. the ordinary ones from Whole Foods, etc. They seem to add additional gentle heat and also a peppery flavor. Glad and will repurchase for sure!
Love the red jalapeño flakes in lots of different things. For a spicy margarita I use equal parts salt, hot chili powder and red jalapeño. I use this to coat the top of the glass. Mmm good!
Loving the red Jalapeño. I have all the B&B red peppers and love the ability to go hot with nuance!
Perfect for adding some heat to any dish with a great flavor
Just the right amount of heat - love all the spices I have purchased from you! Have never been disappointed - have purchased as gifts also