Recipe and photo by Sofi Colmenares
Makes 2 servings
1-inch piece ginger, minced or grated
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
1 dash soy sauce
0.5 cup arborio rice
1.5 cup chicken stock
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
2oz Pecorino cheese, grated
Salt to taste
Pinch of ground Nile Coriander
Pinch of ground Zanzibar Black Pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan over high heat, add eggplant and set heat to medium-low.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir occasionally until the eggplant is light brown.
- Once caramelized, turn off the heat and add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ground Nile Coriander, and ground Zanzibar Black Pepper.
- Place chicken stock in a pot, and heat until simmering. Keep on low heat.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat, then add garlic and ginger and cook for 4-5 minutes or until aromatic.
- Mix the rice in with the garlic and ginger, stirring to coat it with oil.
- Mix in the soy sauce, and sprinkle in the salt, ground Nile Coriander and ground Zanzibar Black Pepper.
- Slowly pour in 1/3 of the warm chicken stock over the rice. Bring to a simmer, and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until the rice has absorbed all of the chicken stock.
- Once all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender, add the caramelized eggplant and chopped cilantro.
- If desired, mix in the pecorino cheese or grate over risotto for garnish.