Grains of Paradise are a complex, aromatic ingredient beloved across Africa, especially in Ethiopian and West African cuisines.
Use whole or grind into stews and sauces for a heat that’s reminiscent of black pepper but beautifully herbal, floral and citrusy.
Origin: Bench Maji, Ethiopia
- Aliases: Melegueta pepper, alligator pepper, ossame, fom wisa
- Process: Sun-dried
- Ingredients: Grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta)
- Tasting notes: Fresh Herbs • Lemon Zest • Pickled Ginger
- Add a pinch of whole grains to rice or grains to infuse with flavor.
- Grind the grains to add to banana bread or other sweet baked goods.
- Grind and blend with chili, turmeric, cumin and paprika for a homemade berbere.
- Pairs well with: Cobanero Chili, New Harvest Turmeric, Royal Cinnamon
Our Grains of Paradise are grown by a cooperative of farmers in Bench Maji in southern Ethiopia.
Also known in West Africa as Melegueta pepper, they are related to cardamom and ginger, and they are harvested from pods produced by a trumpet-shaped purple flower.
Spice of paradise
The spice is so unique and flavorful! We use it on everything. It has its own spice mill, and we plan to keep it full. Thank You for your excellent products!
Best source for beautiful flavor.
I am addicted to this spice! I have actually bought from other sources, only to be disappointed, and came back to Burlap& Barrel for the quality & flavor.
I use this with peppercorns in a pepper mill and adore the flavor with fresh grond pepper.
Fresh grains don’t disappoint
We’ve put the grains of paradise in a small spice grinder and reach for it instead of pepper for many dishes. It adds a wonderful oomph! Lovely flavour.
More would be better
I love these grains. I use them freely in most dishes. I have them in my pepper mill. They enhance every dish. However, at the rate I use them it's a costly deal. Being able to access the larger container would make me ever so happy. I understand it's a shipping problem but it's been six months since the large container was available. I have tried getting them from anther source but the intense flavor was not there. Well you asked and I am answering.
A unique, fabulous taste. Use it in so many dishes. So much so that I purchased the large size! Thank you Burlap & Barrel for introducing us to this wonderful flavor,
Versatile Fragrant Flavor
Where this herb (seed) fits in one’s cuisine is totally subjective. It is very fragrant with fruit-like flavor but also a citrus air to it that works well with so much. Needs to be ground for full effect, I think.
Grains of Paradise are really special!
FREQUENTLY BOUGHT TOGETHER
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.