Our buffalo ginger is an heirloom ginger variety from a group of farmers in the mountains of northern Vietnam. Known for its fruity and floral aroma and powerful heat, this is a complex & flavorful ginger powder that will elevate baked goods, stews and curries, and beverages from hot drinks to cocktails.
In Vietnam, the ginger is used with chicken, soup, rice, and candy. It’s also been used for medicinal purposes - to calm upset stomachs, restore appetite, and support the immune system. Any way you slice it, this is a spicy, wonderfully intense ginger.
- Origin: Cao Bằng, Vietnam
- Process: Dried with hot air, then ground
- Ingredients: 100% ginger, ground (Zingiber officinale)
- Tasting notes: Pineapple • Fresh Herbs • Bright Heat
- Sprinkle into curries, sauces, and chutneys
- Add to apple pies, cookies, cakes, and other baked goods
- Mix ¼ teaspoon with water and honey for a potent ginger tea (or skip the water and stir a pinch of ginger into honey)
- Pairs well with: Ground Cinnamon Verum, New Harvest Turmeric, Wild Mountain Cumin
I cook and bake with ginger all the time. The frustrating thing is the waning flavor that you get unless you use multiple preparations of ginger. I find this Buffalo Ginger has better flavor retention than the others I've tried-and I've tried all the national regular and organic brands as well as small "boutique" varieties. This one has a spicy ginger flavor that I love. Try it! You'll like it!! =D
I purchased both the ginger and cardamon and made one of my favorite recipes to try them out. The cardamon was especially nice. I might need to grind it a bit more to have a finer grain. Absolutely loved both and they made my pastry wonderfully delicious.
Best spices I've used in a long time. Will order again!
Ginger is one of my favorite spices and B&B's Ginger is the best!!
Great hot taste of ginger. You get so used to the super market kind, you forget what real powdered ginger should taste like.