Our spectacular cured sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey, where instead of being dried, it’s chopped and packed in salt to preserve it. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavor, and is one of our most popular spices among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
A classic Middle Eastern finishing spice, swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
Bon Appetit called our cured sumac “tart and vivacious” and that it gives dishes “invigorating citrus-like finish (and a deep red-violet hue that you couldn’t dream up).” We agree.
- Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
- Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
- Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt
- Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
- Sprinkle on top of hummus, baba ganoush, or even eggs
- Dust over roast or fried fish and chicken
- Add to chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with a few glugs of olive oil
- In Chickpea Sumac Salad (community recipe)
- In Çilbir-Inspired Eggs (community recipe)
- Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika, Wild Red Juniper Berries
Sumac at best adds a wonderful subtle smokey, deep umami note. This is as good as it gets!
Love Burlap & Barrel spices. They taste so fresh, I feel like I could be in Turkey, Iceland, or anywhere else in the world where these spices are sourced. Luckily, I discovered these in the middle of the pandemic and travel restrictions. This cured sumac is out of the world and unlike any other (usually dry) sumacs I have ever had. Absolute go! Best of all, supporting equitable farming and producers like it should be.
Wow! I’ve never had cumin like this or cocoa. Truly I can make a hot chocolate without sugar! Obviously your spices are more expensive but equity and integrity come with a price - and fair treatment of growers is well worth it. I recommend buying 16oz and sharing with friends - it brings the price down. Enjoy!!!
Sumac is my boyfriend and I'm new favorite spice. I combine it with the garlic and black lime and the flavor is amazing. Sumac is also great sprinkled on eggs.
Wonderful spices! My kids love this sprinkled into their rice and I love it on almost everything else. Already on my second jar.