Our Szegedi 178 Hot Paprika is grown on a small regenerative farm in the oldest paprika-growing region of Hungary by our partner farmer, Péter. Szegedi 178 is an heirloom variety of hot pepper that has a beautiful aroma and a long, warm burn. The peppers are picked ripe, air-cured in mesh bags, dehydrated, ground and blended with sweet paprika in small batches. Perfect for Hungarian dishes, chili, stew, roasts and anything else in need of sweet heat.
Our partner farmer, Péter, grows an heirloom variety of hot peppers known as Szegedi 178, which has a beautiful red pepper aroma and a long, warm burn. The peppers are picked when perfectly ripe, then hung in mesh bags to cure in the breeze. This curing process, called sukju (or "salami bag" by the locals), brings the sugars to the surface. After curing, the peppers are dehydrated, ground and blended with sweet paprika in small batches.
- Add to soups and stews for a gorgeous color and fresh paprika kick
- Use in rubs, marinades and dressings
- Make classic Hungarian dishes like goulash, chicken paprikash and stuffed cabbage
Péter, our partner farmer in Hungary, moved home to Budapest after a stint in England, and there he met his wife. She wanted to leave the city, so in 2010 they made their new home in Kalocsa, working in family business of growing peppers for paprika. He cures the peppers for a month behind his house and the houses of his mother's friends who have aged out of the hard labor. His grandfather's land was taken away by the government when communism took over from Russia, and his grandfather made Péter promise that one day all of his land would grow paprika again.
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and limited recent evidence that chilis can potentially be helpful for:
- Cancers: Capsaicin shows potential natural cytotoxic and anticancer properties. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
- Increased Longevity: Several studies have shown a significant decrease in mortality associated with regular consumption of chili peppers. (A, B, C)
- Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and Cholesterol: Diets containing chili peppers have shown a correlation with decreased cardiovascular mortality, improved blood pressure and potential for cholesterol reduction. (A, B, C, D)
- Osteoarthritis/Pain: Utilizing capsaicin shows potential improvement associated with chronic osteoarthritis pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and neuropathy. (A, B, C)
- Digestive Health: Chili peppers and capsaicin have been shown to have a gastroprotective effect in peptic ulcer disease, a beneficial effect on human gut microbiota and gastric emptying, and a potential to improve dysphagia symptoms. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Obesity: Regular consumption of capsaicinoids show a reduction in appetite and abdominal fat tissue levels, and an increase of energy expenditure. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Antimicrobial Benefits: Chilis inhibit various microbial pathogen growth, and have the potential to be used as antimicrobials. (A, B, C, D)
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes: The target receptor of capsaicin (TRPV1) is present on many metabolically active tissues, and may show potential to treat the cluster of risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome and help regulate blood sugar levels. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
- Szegedi 178 Hot Paprika
The paprika itself is awesome. I would advise only to buy the larger container because the price plus shipping doesn't justify the smaller one.
Best paprika! Nice heat & flavor
The absolute best hot Hungarian pepper I've ever had.
Better than any of the bulk pepper I've bought in Hungary. Glorious color. Full flavor. Makes terrific chicken paptrkash, cabbage rolls and cucumber salad. A little bit greatly improved a nice fish chowder, too. I bought the large container and I'm not worried about it getting stale; it will all get used before then.
Spicy and delicious
This came in my spice club box and is in heavy rotation in my kitchen - it packs the perfect punch. Bought another one for my spice-loving friend for her birthday.