Our rich, vibrant Noble Sweet Paprika is grown on a small regenerative farm in the oldest paprika-growing region of Hungary. Perfect for classic Hungarian dishes, this sweet paprika adds richness and depth to anything it touches.
Our partner farmer, Péter, grows two heirloom varieties of peppers: Szegedi 80, known for its deep red color and sweetness, and mihályteleki, known for its rich fragrance. The peppers are picked when perfectly ripe, then hung in mesh bags to cure in the breeze. This curing process, called sukju (or "salami bag" by the locals), brings the sugars to the surface. After curing, the peppers are dehydrated and ground in small batches.
- Add to soups and stews for a gorgeous color and fresh, sweet flavor
- Use in rubs, marinades and dressings
- Make classic Hungarian dishes like goulash, chicken paprikash and stuffed cabbage
Péter, our partner farmer in Hungary, moved home to Budapest after a stint in England, and there he met his wife. She wanted to leave the city, so in 2010 they made their new home in Kalocsa, working in family business of growing peppers for paprika. He cures the peppers for a month behind his house and the houses of his mother's friends who have aged out of the hard labor. His grandfather's land was taken away by the government when communism took over from Russia, and his grandfather made Péter promise that one day all of his land would grow paprika again.
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and limited recent evidence that chilis can potentially be helpful for:
- Cancers: Capsaicin shows potential natural cytotoxic and anticancer properties. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
- Increased Longevity: Several studies have shown a significant decrease in mortality associated with regular consumption of chili peppers. (A, B, C)
- Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and Cholesterol: Diets containing chili peppers have shown a correlation with decreased cardiovascular mortality, improved blood pressure and potential for cholesterol reduction. (A, B, C, D)
- Osteoarthritis/Pain: Utilizing capsaicin shows potential improvement associated with chronic osteoarthritis pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and neuropathy. (A, B, C)
- Digestive Health: Chili peppers and capsaicin have been shown to have a gastroprotective effect in peptic ulcer disease, a beneficial effect on human gut microbiota and gastric emptying, and a potential to improve dysphagia symptoms. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Obesity: Regular consumption of capsaicinoids show a reduction in appetite and abdominal fat tissue levels, and an increase of energy expenditure. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Antimicrobial Benefits: Chilis inhibit various microbial pathogen growth, and have the potential to be used as antimicrobials. (A, B, C, D)
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes: The target receptor of capsaicin (TRPV1) is present on many metabolically active tissues, and may show potential to treat the cluster of risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome and help regulate blood sugar levels. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
- Noble Sweet Paprika
Absolutely the best!
The most wonderful sweet paprika I've ever used! There's no going back from this fantastic paprika to any other. It's absolutely amazing!
Chicken Paprikash is a family traditional meal. I recently ordered both the smoked paprika and the Noble Sweet Paprika to use in this dish! My grandmother must have been smiling in Heaven because the flavors never tasted better. I almost ate the entire dish by myself! You will not be Disappointed in these amazing flavors. Treat yourself!
I’ve never cooked much with paprika, but now I put it in everything. Noble Sweet Paprika adds to each dish both a subtle flavor and pop of color. I use it with eggs, soups, chicken, and more. Highly recommended.
Hands down the purest paprika iv ever used..vibrant red color..aromatic and depth of flavor unbelievable...I'll never buy another paprika again.