Our Sun-Dried Tomato Powder is made from a special tomato variety grown across Turkey's Aegean Sea coastline. Sun-dried tomatoes are a natural source of umami, and this tomato powder adds a bump of rich savory tanginess.
Sauté the powder with aromatics like onions or garlic, use as a garnish on roasted vegetables or add to rubs for grilled meats.
"[I'll use] Burlap and Barrel’s when I’m looking to add complexity and acidity. It’s more of a special occasion sort of deal, reserved for garnishes and final flourishes." Sarah Jampel, Bon Appetit
- Origin: Aegean Region, Turkey
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
Ingredients: Sun-dried tomato, ground (Lycopersicon esculentum, Mill.)
- Tasting notes: Herb garden • Umami bomb
- Coat veggies in olive oil and toss, add to meat rubs and stews
- Sauté with onions, garlic or mirepoix (cut onions, celery and carrots)
- Sprinkle over sliced tomatoes (trust us), focaccias and pizzas
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, Smoked Pimentón Paprika, Cured Sumac
Some handy conversions:
- Tomato paste: 2:1 - 2 parts powder to 1 part water
- Tomato sauce: 1:6 - 1 part tomato powder to 6 parts water
These tomatoes are grown by a network of smallholder farmers in the Aegean region in Turkey. The tomatoes are picked from the field, washed, sliced in half, then laid out to dry in the sun on wide sheets, where they lose up to 95% of their weight.
Fun fact: These tomatoes aren't as sweet as the tomatoes that you'd typically pick up at the market. There's a good reason for that: the sweeter tomatoes produce a clumpy, sticky powder, while these have a tangy kick that's easy to sprinkle on any dish.
- tomato powder
Using this tomato powder is an easy was to add tomato flavor to a recipe without adding more liquid. It’s great in meatloaf, casseroles and soups!!
The texture and flavor are perfect for adding a bit of depth to any dish.
Use this in tons of dishes. Really enhances the depth of flavor.
I’ve just begun to experiment with the Tomato Powder but that first experience was terrific. After lightly salting my tomatoes for my BLT, I added a bit of the Tomato Powder - marvelous. We’re nearing the end of homegrown tomato season and I’ll will look for new ways to put this newly found spice to work.
Wonderful addition to vegetables and meats to give them a tomato taste. Very good quality. Highly recommended.