Our Kashmiri Chili Powder is an heirloom variety grown in Kashmir. The chilis are prized for their flavor and vibrant red color, which imparts a beautiful hue to rubs for Tandoori meats and stews like Rogan Josh. The rich color and bright, sweet flavor make this chili powder a perfect everyday alternative to cayenne, and the full, round taste is a welcome addition anywhere you might use cayenne pepper or hot paprika. Ours it's hotter than others you may have tried!
Kashmiri chilis, in whole and powdered form, are a staple of Indian cuisine and a welcome addition to any dish that needs a burst of flavor and color. The fresh peppers are long, slender and brilliant red, and they are prized for their classic balance of heat and sweetness.
- Use in a rub for grilled lamb or other meat kebabs
- Add to soups and stews for medium heat and rich color
- Use anywhere you'd use cayenne pepper, chili powder or hot paprika
Our partner farmer Showkat grows Kashmiri chilis on farms in Kashmir's famous saffron-growing region, Pampore. While most Kashmiri-variety chili isn't actually grown in Kashmir, Showkat grows two heirloom varieties in Kashmir proper.
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and limited recent evidence that chilis can potentially be helpful for:
- Cancers: Capsaicin shows potential natural cytotoxic and anticancer properties. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
- Increased Longevity: Several studies have shown a significant decrease in mortality associated with regular consumption of chili peppers. (A, B, C)
- Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and Cholesterol: Diets containing chili peppers have shown a correlation with decreased cardiovascular mortality, improved blood pressure and potential for cholesterol reduction. (A, B, C, D)
- Osteoarthritis/Pain: Utilizing capsaicin shows potential improvement associated with chronic osteoarthritis pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and neuropathy. (A, B, C)
- Digestive Health: Chili peppers and capsaicin have been shown to have a gastroprotective effect in peptic ulcer disease, a beneficial effect on human gut microbiota and gastric emptying, and a potential to improve dysphagia symptoms. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Obesity: Regular consumption of capsaicinoids show a reduction in appetite and abdominal fat tissue levels, and an increase of energy expenditure. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Antimicrobial Benefits: Chilis inhibit various microbial pathogen growth, and have the potential to be used as antimicrobials. (A, B, C, D)
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes: The target receptor of capsaicin (TRPV1) is present on many metabolically active tissues, and may show potential to treat the cluster of risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome and help regulate blood sugar levels. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
love the bright color flavor and heat
Good on everything
I bought this spice for my brother as a present and he just kept raving about how it goes on everything so I ordered it for myself. It has a warm tingly sort of spicy and it definitely has a kick. The quality you would expect from Burlap & Barrel and one of the more versatile spices in my pantry.
Thanks for all your awesome spices and especially this one!!
It’s a great present
I have not used as it’s a present for my SIL , he’s a foodie. I know he will like this selection of chilis. I will check in again after he uses.