Unlike most jalapeño peppers, which are picked while still green, these "El Jefe" variety jalapeño peppers are allowed to ripen on the vine, turning bright red and sweet. They're medium-hot (5,000 Scoville Units) and are perfect for cooking or garnishing, in a tomato sauce, with eggs or on fresh fruit.
- Origin: Santa Cruz, California
- Aliases: Chipotle (unsmoked)
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
- Ingredients: 100% Capsicum annuum v. Jalapeño
- Tasting notes: Summer Tomato • Sugar Cane • High Burn
- Season grilled meat or veggies for a bright spiciness
- Sprinkle over dips like baba ghanoush and hummus
- Add to chocolate and fruit for a sweet/spicy kick!
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, Smoked Pimentón Paprika, Cured Sumac
The peppers are grown by Fire Tongue Farms on the cool, coastal climate of Santa Cruz, CA. The farmers Ryan and Levon specialize in growing chili peppers of all shapes and sizes, and are dedicated to maintaining a healthy environment on and around their farmland, rotating between grazing sheep and growing peppers. And you can taste the difference.
Their work builds healthy soil, prevents erosion, protects wildlife habitats, and conserves water and other resources. Learn more at www.firetonguefarm.com.