Our Jimmy Nardello Sweet Pepper Flakes have with tons of sweet, creamy flavor and no heat, and they are perfect for stir-fries, stews, sauces and as a mild alternative to chili flakes. They have shiny, firetruck-red skin and a super-sweet flavor and creamy texture, and they are coveted by chefs and home cooks alike. If you are sensitive to heat but love that pepper flavor, this is the pepper flake for you!
Jimmy Nardello Peppers are the famous thin-skinned Italian frying peppers that pop up at farmers markets towards the end of summer. Most summers, we buy them fresh by the bagful during their relatively short season and eat our fill, then tearfully say goodbye as we wait for their arrival the following summer. Now we can enjoy their sweet taste year-round!
- Add to seasonal stir-fries for a bright, sweet & savory pepper flavor
- A great chili flake for anyone who wants pepper flavor but is sensitive to heat
- Fennel, Orange & Olive Salad
While we do not make any health claims on any of our spices, there has been some historic and limited recent evidence that chilis can potentially be helpful for:
- Cancers: Capsaicin shows potential natural cytotoxic and anticancer properties. (A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
- Increased Longevity: Several studies have shown a significant decrease in mortality associated with regular consumption of chili peppers. (A, B, C)
- Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension and Cholesterol: Diets containing chili peppers have shown a correlation with decreased cardiovascular mortality, improved blood pressure and potential for cholesterol reduction. (A, B, C, D)
- Osteoarthritis/Pain: Utilizing capsaicin shows potential improvement associated with chronic osteoarthritis pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and neuropathy. (A, B, C)
- Digestive Health: Chili peppers and capsaicin have been shown to have a gastroprotective effect in peptic ulcer disease, a beneficial effect on human gut microbiota and gastric emptying, and a potential to improve dysphagia symptoms. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Obesity: Regular consumption of capsaicinoids show a reduction in appetite and abdominal fat tissue levels, and an increase of energy expenditure. (A, B, C, D, E, F)
- Antimicrobial Benefits: Chilis inhibit various microbial pathogen growth, and have the potential to be used as antimicrobials. (A, B, C, D)
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes: The target receptor of capsaicin (TRPV1) is present on many metabolically active tissues, and may show potential to treat the cluster of risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome and help regulate blood sugar levels. (A, B)
Further clinical studies are warranted and in progress. Please always consult your healthcare provider. This is not intended as medical advice.
Jimmy Nardellos were originally brought to the U.S. from southern Italy in 1887 by Giuseppe and Angella Nardiello, who grew the pepper in their family garden. The pepper's namesake, Jimmy, was the couple's fourth son (of 11 kids!). He was an avid gardener and devoted his life to continuing to cultivate his parents' heirloom seeds.
Shortly before his death, Jimmy donated seeds to the Seed Saver Exchange, where the pepper was introduced to a wider audience. Soon after, the Jimmy Nardello Pepper was added to the Slow Food Ark of Taste.
Meet the Farmer: Norwich Meadows Farm owners Zaid and Haifa Kurdieh were among the first farmers in New York to start growing these incredible peppers. Zaid and Haifa have built their reputation among chefs by selecting crops for flavor and texture instead of yield.
Norwich Meadows Farm is a certified organic farm in Chenango County, NY, grounded in nourishment for our bodies and our environment. They are committed not only to growing exceptional food, but also to preserving and stewarding the agricultural land that they farm, through soil management and biodiversity (they grow over 1,300 varieties of plants on the 250-acre farm).
The Kurdiehs' commitment to biodiversity has also made Norwich Meadows Farm a favorite among many of New York's most popular chefs. Priya Krishna wrote a great piece for the New York Times describing Zaid's farm, his love of flavor and his unconventional farming techniques.
Learn more at norwichmeadowsfarm.com
- pepper flavor
Jimmy Nardello Pepper
I love the flavor and have used it in a variety of tasty dishes.
Sweet Jimmy Pepper Flakes
This is a unique pepper flake which deserves frequent use in my kitchen. I usually add it after roasting or baking the vegetables or whatever I added it to. Often use it in conjunction with Silk Chili flakes. Not spicy, just a little sassy and sweetness. Nice on salad or on a sandwich, on almost anything, even a bowl of chunky fruit that needs a little perking up. Thanks for offering this unique pepper flavor.
Great flavor with no heat
I love these peppers. They are decent-sized “dice”, so they don’t get lost in dishes. Excellent addition to meatloaf. As sweet and delicious as the fresh Nardellos I grow in my garden.
Can't get enough of them.
Wonderful taste when added to egg dishes or salads.